Party Wall

Party Wall

This is a general overview and should not be considered a full analysis of the Party Wall Act and its responsibilities and requirements. In all cases you should seek the advice of a Party Wall Surveyor.

What is a Party Wall?

In general terms it’s a structure that separates two owners, where both enjoy the support of that structure. This can be a wall or a fence (not a wooden fence) or a boundary line.

This means that the party wall can either straddle the boundary line or could be singular on either side.

Its always better to confirm with a Party Wall Surveyor whether a wall is a party wall and if you need to give notice of any works.

The Act also covers works of excavation within 3 and 6 meters of the boundary line and if you are to undertake such work you will need to seek further advice.

What is the Party Wall Act etc. 1996

This Act is designed to prevent disputes between owners when one party wants to do work to their property involving a party wall.

The work is generally for any act of demolition or cutting into or extending. It does not cover minor works such as putting up shelves. This you can do without any problems or the need to inform your neighbours.

What does the Act do?

The Act is designed to protect your interests in a wall which may be jointly owned, but supports your property in conjunction with another.

Where can I get more information?

You can contact the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, where there is a document giving further information.

Alternatively, we would be happy to answer any questions that you may have or provide you with the above document.